Monday, February 4, 2008

Even from the plane, it was beautiful

As the plane descended into Cambodia, I knew I would love it. From the muddy fields, to the green landscape, to the tiny little airport, Cambodia was exactly what I was hoping it would be. It sucks you in with its charm the moment you step off the plane. It's truly a beautiful place. After the craziness of Bangkok, the slower pace was exactly what the Traveling Hillbilly needed.

As we drive along the narrow road to the hotel, the street is filled with bicycles, scooters and even some chickens and cows. We definitely aren’t in Bangkok anymore. We pass a few road side markets with locals selling their farm goods and my heart aches just a little. I’m already wishing I had more time here.

After checking into the hotel, which is wonderful, we head in “to town” to check things out. It’s just a short tuk-tuk ride away. The town is filled with restaurants, bars, small shops and spas catering to the tourist. You can get an hour massage here for only $5 and surprisingly, they accept US dollars here. It’s going to be difficult to go home and pay $90+ for a massage at some spa.

We have dinner at the Red Piano, now famous since Angelina Jolie dined there while filming Tomb Raider II. It’s a quaint little restaurant (with red walls) on the corner and the food is great. We sit outside and watch the people go by. I’m amazed at how beautiful the women here are. I expected the Thai women to be beautiful, but wasn’t sure what to expect here, but they are stunning. The children are truly lovely too.

I can’t wait until tomorrow. The Traveling Hillbilly is really looking forward to seeing Angkor Watt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had really good Thai food at a new place on Melrose the other night and thought of you. Bangkok sounds like an experience, but glad you're onto something a little more relaxing now. Keep enjoying, and writing!

a2shap said...

Love reading about all your adventures, but totally missing you and sad to not be there experiencing it all with you. Sounds like quite the trip. Can't wait to learn more about Cambodia. Enjoy it all, my friend!

NS