Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Best Hike Ever

Before I get to the 17 mile drive, I have to mention the great dinner I had at Little Napoli in downtown Carmel. It’s a quaint little Italian restaurant where the staff is friendly and the food is wonderful. There was a bit of a wait, but it was well worth it. It was the perfect way to end day one of my journey.

I awake on Friday morning, still feeling like a kid playing hooky. It’s so wonderful to be out and about enjoying the world on a work day! It makes the experience that much more fun.

I decide to start the day with a hike. Someone gave me this great book on California Hikes years ago and I pulled it out the day before I left, looking to see if there were any hikes in Carmel and Monterey that would be worth checking out. I was so excited to find one called Sea Lion Point Trail that promises sightings of harbor seals and sea lions. The Traveling Hillbilly got that and so much more. The trail is located in Point Lobos State Reserve.

I pull into the park and stop to pay my $10 entrance fee and am met with a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic ranger. I ask about the sea lions and he pulls out a map shows me the trail and tells me about several other trails and points that are “movie set beautiful.” You could tell he truly loves his job and his passion and enthusiasm for the park and all it has to offer are infectious! I’m excited to hit the trails.

The park is much bigger than what I was originally thinking and there were a ton of trails. I actually wound up starting at Whaler’s Cove and hiked all along the coast, including the Allan Memorial Grove (another must see) before seeing the Sea Lion Cove. All in all it was only about a 5-6 mile trek but it had the most beautiful scenery the Traveling Hillbilly has ever seen. The ranger was correct, it was movie set beautiful, actually it was more than that. You are walking along the coast, high up on a cliff over-looking the ocean surrounded by rocks, mountains and trees. It is truly magnificent.

I saw Sea Lions way before I reached Sea Lion Cove. They were sunning themselves on rocks and in the quiet little coves all around the trail. They were fun to see. After being in awe of the sea lions everywhere, the Traveling Hillbilly suddenly turns and there’s a deer in the bushes, nibbling away. I was so amazed that a deer would be that close and it didn’t even make an attempt to run away. Turns out that wouldn’t be the first deer I’d see. They were everywhere and I guess they’re just used to people and don’t scamper away.

It was a very moving and emotional experience. It really made the Traveling Hillbilly stop and think about life and made me appreciate the beautiful country we are all lucky to live in.

Pictures coming soon!

After taking a whole roll of film and starting on another, it was time to head to Monterey. I was excited to see Monterey and to do the 17 mile drive, but how would I ever be able to top what I had just seen?

No comments: