Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The End of My Journey

It’s my last night in Sydney and the end of my Australian/New Zealand adventure. What to do on the final night? I decide to head to bar 360˚ on top the Sydney Tower. Jason and a couple from the wine tour highly recommended it. I wanted to go to the top of the City Tower in Auckland on my last night, but it was so rainy and cloudy there would have been no views. It’s a perfect night for some great views of Sydney.

Once I arrive, I am informed there is a $20 minimum spend at the bar. No problem. After reviewing the limited appetizer menu I decide, why not splurge? I order a glass of Veuve.

I’m sitting at a table in front of an all glass wall. As the bar turns slowly around, I am treated to the most amazing views of the city. Suddenly, I’m very sad to be leaving. I wish I had just one more day. I know there is still so much more to see. This is definitely a place I’d come back to.

Every trip I take, I learn something new about myself. As I sit here sipping my champagne, admiring the views, I reflect on what I’ve learned on this latest journey.

- I really have mellowed out. Things just don’t faze me like they used to. This trip has not always gone smoothly, but when the unexpected happened, not once did I get upset or let it ruin my trip. I just viewed the unexpected as chance to see/do/experience something new. Not once was I disappointed.

- Taking almost 3 years off from working full-time was really good for me. It truly has given me a new perspective on my life. While my career is still important to me, I am not defined by it. I can do a great job at work and still enjoy all life has to offer. There is so much more to life than work and it is not that difficult to find balance. You just have to make balance a priority.

- The Traveling Hillbilly is lucky to live in such a beautiful place. I’ve gained a true appreciation for California. When we live in a place for a while, we tend to overlook things and get bogged down in the day to day frustrations like traffic, high cost of living, etc. Despite some of the challenges of living in Los Angeles, the city has a lot to offer and should not be taken for granted. I need to go back to Los Angeles and see the city through the eyes of a tourist.

While this particular adventure has come to an end, the Traveling Hillbilly’s journey continues on. I have to go back to work soon. While, I’m sad to have my holiday come to an end, I don’t dread going back to work. I know in my heart that my next big adventure is just around the corner. I can’t wait to see what life has in store for me.

I thank you all for following this latest adventure. The only thing better than a great journey, is being able to share it with others. I truly have enjoyed sharing it with you and hope you share some of your adventures with me very soon!

No comments: