Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Watching the Waves of the Adriactic

As I sit watching the waves (not really waves)of the Adriatic roll in, I feel like I’m going to cry. I’m not sure of the reason, maybe it’s many reasons. Maybe it’s because the bike tour is over and I have to say goodbye to all the amazing people I’ve met. Maybe it’s because I’m so moved by the natural beauty of this place. Maybe it’s because I feel so blessed to have had this experience. Maybe it’s all those reasons and more.

I have met people on this trip who have truly inspired me. They are warm, generous and fun. We’ve all met those people who just exude warmth and affection the moment you meet them. While most people are, inherently good, there are those that truly stand out amongst the rest of us. There is just something special about them. I’ve met a few of those people on this trip. The Traveling Hillbilly wants to give a shout out to Jim and Nancy. Nancy is a truly special person and her husband is a gentlemen in the truest sense of the word. From the moment I arrived, they extended their kindness and generosity to me. They have been together over 35 years and you can feel their love and affection for one another. They have inspired me in more ways than they’ll ever know. Nancy was always there to help, to offer support and provide words of encouragement. She made even the most torturous days of riding fun. Her husband took on every challenge with a great attitude and a sense of fun. At the end of the day, all they wanted to now was how you did. They were always concerned and interested in others. I’m truly going to miss them.

Marsha and Doug are another great couple. They have such a sense of fun. There was never a doubt in Marsha’s mind that we were not going to do the longest and toughest options available to us. She is a real spitfire! Vera and Rachel were right there as well. It was each one of them that made me push myself to try and meet every challenge. While they usually left me in the dust on the hills, they were always waiting just around the next corner, taking photos and offering kind words. The Traveling Hillbilly laughed constantly with this group. You would have thought we had all known each other for a long time and had not just met a day or two before.

All in all this was an extraordinary group of people. We had a wide range of ages and a range of biking experience and ability. From Marsha, a serious biker to those of us who just like to take leisurely rides along the beach. We had several people that are older, many even retired, who got on the bikes every morning and rode further than I thought would be possible. Most of them were often passing me as I struggled to climb up a hill. Several of them travel together and have done more than 10 biking trips. But everyone got along, supported one another and had fun. This is one of the reasons I like to travel by myself on occasion. It gives the Traveling Hillbilly the opportunity to meet new people, make new friends.

So thanks to the whole crew; Terry, Linn & Krissy (it’s great to see a family taking this adventure together), Arthur & Miriam (New Yorkers who always made the Traveling Hillbilly laugh), Mike & Vicky (could actually speak the language and often helped the rest of us out), Barry & Karen (a bummer Barry got so sick), Chuch & Jacquie (a great couple of people), Ken & Annie (a truly compatible couple) and of course Nancy & Jim, Marsha & Doug, Vera (a great sense of humor and very photogenic) and Rachel ( an independent spirit and great photographer). Everyone one of them contributed to making this an amazing experience. The Traveling Hillbilly will miss all of you.

No comments: