Friday, October 30, 2009

What I Learned

As I sit on the plane flying back home, I start to think about the things I’ve learned on this latest adventure.

I’ve learned that with nothing more than sheer determination you can accomplish what you never thought possible. I’ve learned there are places were most people are inherently good, where you can leave your bike on the street unlocked, and it will still be there when you return. I’ve learned there are still a few places in this world that don’t have a Starbuck’s or McDonald’s on every street corner. I never saw a Starbuck’s on this trip and only saw a sign for a McDonald’s in Split. Needless to say, the Traveling Hillbilly did not have any Big Mac’s on this trip!

I’ve learned living doesn’t have to end at a certain age. I’ve learned I’ve just scratched the surface on living my life. Travel is all about experiences that make you feel alive. The day to day a lot of us do is not living. It may be life, but it is not truly living.

I’ve learned to keep a little piece of each trip to myself because no matter how hard I try, I will never be able to do justice to these experiences on paper and through photos.

I’ve learned that when things don’t go as expected or planned, you’re often rewarded with a richer experience and even better stories to tell. I’ve learned there are places and people in this world so beautiful they can move you to tears.

I’ve learned I have a lot more journeys ahead. There are many more places to see, people to meet and experiences to be had. The Traveling Hillbilly looks forward to sharing those experiences with you!

No comments: