Sunday, July 7, 2019

The overnight to Chicago

We hopped on the  train so excited for our cross country ride.   We were on train car 5800, room 7, a room on the upper level.  The steward told us our beds had already been turned down for the night.   Wow, turn down service.  However,  I knew we might be in trouble when my friend opened the door to our room and said, "it's really small."  I peaked in and thought this isn't a room.  It's going be like sleeping in an MRI machine.  The "room" isn't much wider than the beds we'd be sleeping on. It isn't even standing room only, with the beds folded down, there is no room between the bed and the door.  We had both checked out the accomodations online and knew it would be small, but we both expected there to be more room than there was.  Oh well, we were only going to be sleeping anyway and it would convert to a nice sitting area once the beds get folded up in the morning.  

After a hot sweaty day, I grabbed a quick shower before we even departed the station.  My friend did the same and then he and I were off to the cafe lounge to grab a drink before we turned in for the night.   It was really dark, so not much to see but enjoyed it just the same.  It just felt good to be "clean."  

We headed back to our "room" and crawled into our beds.  I took a Unisom in the hopes of having a better sleep and avoid a potential panic attack about feeling claustorphobic in my MRI machine.  

I slept really well.  We have less than an hour before we arrive in Chicago, where I'm hoping to grab lunch with my niece before we start the next big leg of our journey!

No comments: