Saturday, August 10, 2019

Traveling with Hounds


Even though I had a very long journey, luckily I had two great road companions with me, my two crazy but sweet dogs.   These two are used to road trips by now and have probably traveled across the country more than most people have.   For the most part the  hounds slept on this long journey, only groggily waking when they felt the car slow down to stop for gas.   Once my  dogs feel the car start to  slow down, there's no going back.   They  know it's time to get out and stretch their legs.  They start getting quite antsy and vocal.   

For those of you who travel with your dogs, you know there is no such thing as a  "quick stop" with them.  They have to go for stroll, do their business, stroll some more, then get some water, say hi to any one who might happen by.   And they like to take their sweet time doing all this.    So every stop adds at least 15-20 minutes to the journey.   But I much prefer traveling with them than without.   


I will admit though, it's much easier and pleasant to travel with them  outside of summer.  Traveling with them this time of year, can be challenging due to the extreme heat in a lot of places.   I'm constantly worry they aren't staying  cool enough in the car when we are driving.  That worry grows significantly when we have to stop for breaks.   After they've done their business and are back in the car drinking water, I run quickly to take my own potty break and am always afraid they are going to get too hot in the few minutes I'm gone.   I much prefer traveling with them when it's cooler vs. when temps are 90+ degrees!




No comments: