Friday, December 20, 2019

A Long Journey for the Traveling Hillbilly


I must say as excited as I am about this trip, I have been dreading the actual travel part.  Just over 25 hours in travel time, more than 30 hours if you include time to/from airports.   A 14 hour non-stop flight to Nairobi, a 6 hour layover in Nairobi before taking off on my flight to Cape Town and all in economy.    Simply brutal.   I’ve been telling myself for months, just accept it going to be awful, but it will be amazing once you get there.   When I originally booked my flight it was only 19 hours of total travel time, however, the changed the flight out of Nairobi to a much later flight, leaving me in the airport for hours.  And it’s a small airport.   Not a lot to do for 6 hours.    So what’s a Traveling Hillbilly supposed to do with all this time?   Get the blog postings started!
So how was the flight from JFK to Narobi?   Long, very long.  The service on Kenya Airways was great.  It was just a very long time to not be able to get up and move about much.   I probably need to spend the next 6 hours stretching!   I got no sleep on the plane, maybe 15 -20 minutes.   I just could not fall asleep, even after taking some Nyquil.   The Traveling Hillbilly watched 3 movies, 2-3 episodes of some TV sitcoms and our flight tracker. 
I’m still hours away from my final destination for the first part of the trip.  I will try to keep myself awake   so when I do finally get to my hotel in Cape Town late this evening, I’ll be ready for what I hope will be a good night’s sleep so I can have some fun tomorrow!
 

No comments: