Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Day 3 - White Knuckle Drive

  I was relieved to have found a hotel, however, I wasn't sure I was even going to make it there.  After not moving for 2 hours, I started thinking we might all be sleeping on the highway tonight.  It didn't look like we were going to be going anywhere anytime soon.  I started to think of the supplies I might need for a freezing night spent on the highway.   Luckily I had the key things I might need to keep me and the dogs safe during the night; warm clothes, blankets, water.   The longer we sat there, the more nervous and concerned I got.   I believe the dogs sensed my fear and nervousness and remained calm and quiet the whole time.   They stayed in the back seat, snuggled up together quietly. 


Finally after about 2 1/2 hours, we started to move, but very slowly.   At this point, the highway was a sheet of ice and it was blowing snow.  Visibility was limited. You couldn't see the lines on the highway or tell where the median or emergency lane were.   We were basically moving about 10-15 miles an hour and keeping significant distance between the vehicle ahead.   Unfortunately, we really had no option but to drive (I use that word loosely) to get to the next exit.   I had less than 30 miles to get to that next exit but in these treacherous conditions, it took an hour and 45 minutes to get to there.    It was definitely a white knuckle drive all the way!   I've had a couple of scary instances on road trips before, but this tops the list.  It was a long, scary and dangerous drive.  There was more than one instance where I wondered if I would make it safely.  

Finally after 21 hours on the road, we arrived at the hotel we booked while parked on the highway.  I was never so happy to get to a hotel!   The dogs sensed my relief as well and were more than happy to finally get out of the car.

After 21 hours, we should have been much closer to our destination, but unfortunately due to the delays, we still had another long day of driving ahead of us.  But the important thing is, we made it and we made it safely.   Time for a good night's rest for another long day of driving.

No comments: