Thursday, January 31, 2008

Bangkok Birthday

So I’m sitting here having breakfast and thinking, wow, today’s my birthday. Where does the time go? I remember being excited every year about what kind of cake I would get. I mean, my mom always made me a banana cake, my absolute favorite, but it was in the shape of something different every year. I think my absolute favorite was the panda bear cake. It was totally cool. It actually sat up so it was a tall and it had little brown paws and a little brown and white face. It was such a cool cake I didn’t want to cut into it. But hey, it was banana cake, so I got over that fast and dug in. There’s just nothing better than my mom’s banana cake. I think that was also the year, I got my snoopy electric toothbrush. What a birthday!

As a lot of you know, the Traveling Hillbilly LOVES birthdays. I think they are something to be celebrated and embraced, not be afraid of. I think this love of birthdays stems from my childhood. Birthdays were always such a special thing growing up. Whenever it was your birthday, the whole family got together to celebrate and you were made to feel so special that day. I have some great birthday memories, not just my own but those of other family members as well. Birthdays were always a good time.

So I sit here, excited that it is my birthday, but also a little sad. There will be no banana cake made lovingly by mom, no big family celebration. But don’t feel too bad for the Traveling Hillbilly. I mean I am in Bangkok after all. I’m sure the Traveling Hillbilly will find something exciting to do in this big city. Actually I’m hoping to go to The Dome tonight. It’s a restaurant and bar on top of the State Tower so it has amazing views of the city. Sounds like a great place to start the birthday celebration.

You know what? I just realized it’s actually only my Bangkok Birthday. It’s still 5pm on the 31st in Los Angeles. So due to the time difference, my real birthday won’t be until tomorrow here. Hhhhhmmmm, it seems like I may have to celebrate again tomorrow. The Traveling Hillbilly likes this idea of the 2 day birthday!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the time difference and not really knowing where you are in Bangkok (big city ha ha!) it may be difficult this year to wish you a happy birthday. But this big sister is here remembering you as always and having banana cake in your honor! Hope you are having the time of your life.

We love you,
Tracee, Ashley and Kyle

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to the coolest, bestest Hillbilly and friend!

Anonymous said...

Well, it's your birthday on my time. Happy 40th to my wonderful sister! It sounds like you are having an amazing time. I wish I could be there to celebrate with you! Enjoy yourself and make sure to eat some kind of dessert to celebrate! I love you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR HILLBILLY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!........(and many more). From your Floridaized hillbilly aunt! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I remember the year you had the panda cake. I never would have dreamed that on your 40th birhday you would be in Bangkok. Who knew from your hillbilly roots that you would roam the world. I wish I could make you a banana cake this year, but you know that in spirit, I am with you today. Dad and I are so proud of our traveling hillbilly. Enjoy today and know that we love you and miss you.