Wednesday, January 30, 2008

How's the Food & Other Quick Observations.

MJ wants to know how the food in Thailand is. It's awesome. After some pretty hairy experiences in China, I was a little nervous about the food here, but it's delicious. The cocktails are great too. Just tonight I had a Spicy Lip! It was chili-infused vodka, with lime and lemongrass. Hhhhmmmm. Who knew I even liked lemongrass? As a lot of you know, the Traveling Hillbilly likes cocktails straight up, not all those fancy sweet drinks that have become so popular, but there have been some interesting and spicy options here, so I just had to give them a try. Other random things to note:

1) The weather in Chiang Mai was perfect. It was like being in Hawaii.
2) The fruit is amazing! I don't normally like pineapple, but the pineapple here is great. Plus there's this one fruit that I have no idea what it is but it's delicious! I've had fruit everyday.
3) Traditional Thai massage? I highly recommend! The Traveling Hillbilly had the first one yesterday and it was fabulous. Clothing is a must when getting a real Thai massage. Given the great prices, it just may have to be a daily ritual. How can you beat a One Hour Thai Massage and 45 Minute Facial for under $30 US? And that's at a nice spa.
4) The Traveling Hillbilly actually went 2 days in Chiang Mai without seeing a McDonald's! Of course did see a Starbuck's the first day.
5) There are a lot less American tourist here, but a lot of German's, Aussie's and Brits. I guess the 18 hour flight scares a lot of Americans off.
6) As anticipated, it's much warmer and more humid in Bangkok. Plus I expect it will be more expensive. Oh and saw a McDonald's, a KFC and a Pizza Hut within an hour of arriving!
The Traveling Hillbilly just arrived in this bustling city today so more observations on this city to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds fantastic so far - thanks for sharing so I can live vicariously through you!!

Kristen

Anonymous said...

What an adventure. By my count you are now less than 24 hours (YOUR TIME) away from your Bday! Any plans for the big night?

Anonymous said...

An elephant ride, OH MY!!!!! Guess we know who the adventurer in our family is. Hope this is the happiest birthday ever.