Monday, September 19, 2016

The Famous Blue Lagoon


So after a great night's sleep,  I finally crawled out of bed and decided to head to the Blue Lagoon.  Since I'm staying at the Silica Hotel my entrance fee to the Blue Lagoon is included.   I get my voucher from the from desk and walk over. The walk itself is an adventure. It's less than a 10 minute walk and you are basically walking thru a lava field.



I walk into the Blue Lagoon and it's just like a reception at fancy spa.  They check you, give you your towel and robe and a bracelet.  The bracelet has a chip in it that allows you to open/close your locker and charge any incidentals.   I walk outside the locker room and out to the Blue Lagoon and it looks just like all the pictures you see.  The water is ice blue and there is steam rising up.  The steam at some times gets so thick you can barely see in front of you.  It's like a lake in one of those scary movies, where the steam hovers just above the water.   But this is no scary movie.  It's quite amazing.  The place is huge and goes on and around, so it's difficult to take it all in.  They've left a lot of the natural surrounds intact, so there's lave rock formations throughout the waters.   It has little wooden walkways and bridges that go out above the water, it has a swim up bar and there's even some complimentary mud mask for you to try. I'm pleasantly surprised to find it's less crowded than I was expecting.  
 



 
 
Tomorrow I leave this beautiful place and head to Reykjavik for a few days.   Can't wait to see what else is in store for this great journey.   I have to admit if I had to leave tomorrow, I'd already feel this trip was worth it.


No comments: