Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Hard to Say Goodbye

I can’t believe my time in Cambodia is coming to an end! After a fully day of touring the temples in Siem Reap, it’s time to pack up and get ready for tomorrow morning’s flight. I will never be able to do justice to what we saw today. The temples for the most part are in complete ruins, but they are still amazing to see. The sheer size of what these people built is astounding. Most of the temples were never even finished because the kings who they were being built for generally died before they were completed. I spent the whole day in awe. A lot of the temples are surrounded by the jungle setting and one of them actually has trees growing right on top of it and even right through it. The jungle has just taken over, but somehow it adds to the splendor and mystic of it all. Angkor Watt is one of the Ancient Wonders of the World and is truly a site to behold. It is not to be missed by the well seasoned traveler. The Traveling Hillbilly was truly impressed. So far, Siem Reap has been the highlight of the trip. I can’t wait to post pictures for you all to see.

I really wish I had at least one more day here. There’s so much more to see. I’m very sad to leave Cambodia, but it’s time to head to Phuket. After several days of running around, a few days relaxing on the beach sounds great. I’ve been sick since day one so a day or two in the sun is just what the Traveling Hillbilly needs.

No comments: