Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Who Works out on Vacation?

I started the morning with a great stretch class. There’s just no better way to wake up. After the class, I do some weights and then it’s off to the pool to cool off and start a day of quiet relaxation.

I’ve been working out often on this trip. It started when I went for a run in Chiang Mai the second day of the trip. It’s great to run through the streets in the early morning before the city has really woken up. I had not been on a run in ages and it felt so good. I had my new ipod on and just wanted to keep running. All the hotels have had some great gyms and amazing swimming pools. The pools have been so inviting. After a long day of walking the hot streets, a quick dip in the pool is just what’s needed. A few laps in the morning are also a great way to wake up. It’s so invigorating and gets you ready for the day ahead. Considering all the food the Traveling Hillbilly has been eating, the work outs are much needed!

A lot of people are like, “working out, you’re on vacation, work out when you get home.” But I have to say, The Traveling Hillbilly loves to work out on vacation. There’s no time schedule, no rush to squeeze a class in before work or rushing through traffic to get to a class after work. It’s all on your own time, no stress, no worries. It gives me time to reflect on the experience so far and get excited about what still lies ahead. Why I can’t I live at this pace back at home? Why can’t I maintain this stress free state of mind? Hmmm. I’ll have to think about that during tomorrow morning’s workout.

The Traveling Hillbilly highly recommends vacation work outs. They truly are good for the mind, body and spirit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am truly envious of you as I read through your messages each day. I think how nice it would be to get away from the hustle and bustle of life, and somehow it relaxes me a bit just imagining how much you must be enjoying this trip. It still sounds like you are having an amazing time. So relax on the beach and soak up a sunray for me!

Anonymous said...

I too LOVE working out on vacation. It's not like "hurry up and get in everything" it's truly relaxing. I totally get it!