Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Wild & Crazy Night in Bangkok

So the big night was finally here. What to do in a city with so many options? Well how does a nice Italian dinner sound? I know Thai would have seemed much more appropriate considering my location, but hey you can only have so many Thai meals in a row. I mean when I’m home, I don’t have Mexican or Italian every day. So off we went to this Italian restaurant that came highly recommended by our hotel concierge, as well as, a British girl (who lived here a few years ago) we met on the Sky Train.

The recommendation proved to be a good one. Dinner was fabulous, plus they had a great wine list, a major selling point for the Traveling Hillbilly. After our dinner, it was off to see the nightlife. We walked over to the Banyan Tree hotel for a drink. The bar is outside on the 61st floor and offers stunning views of the city. It truly was beautiful. As some of you know, the Traveling Hillbilly is afraid of heights so when the wind started to pick up, I have to admit, this hillbilly got a little spooked. However, I still had a great time.

Then it was off to the Night Market, which is in the “red light” district of Bangkok. Now this is an interesting area but I won’t go into to detail. If you want the real scoop, post some questions on the guestbook and The Traveling Hillbilly will email you the real scoop. Luckily we didn’t encounter anything too seedy, aside from the names of some of the bars (many of which I don’t want to print on this blog). At least I can say I went.

Then it was off to The Dome at the top of the state tower, another place for great views of the city. It was actually on the 63rd floor! But it was a little more enclosed so there was not as much wind. Plus they had some great couches to lounge on. This is the place I mentioned that had an issue with “plastic bags.”

So it wasn't truly a wild and crazy night, but all in all, a great way to celebrate the big day. I had a fabulous dinner, drinks at two of the places offering the best views in the city, all spent in the company of good friends. This is truly one lucky hillbilly.

No comments: