Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Best Hike Ever

First I have to talk about the train ride. Well actually first I have to mention that as I’m walking along the harbour at 6:45am (yes, in the morning) to catch my train, the bars are packed! Are these people still here from Saturday night or did they come out this early to watch the game?

The train ride is truly magnificent. What a beautiful country. The rolling green hills remind the Traveling Hillbilly of my roots. The scenery is actually a lot like Kentucky; the mountains, the cows, the rocks. There are definitely more sheep here than in Kentucky.

We pass over several bridges, through tunnels and the famous Rourimu spiral which was built to ensure the trains could actually get up and down the steep mountain. At points we run along the river and the Traveling Hillbilly sees more than one waterfall along the way. The train ride is so relaxing and scenic; it makes the Traveling Hillbilly think about taking a train ride in the US.

So, the hike. The Traveling Hillbilly arrives at the National Park station and there is someone from the Chateau Tongariro ready to take me and some other guests to the hotel. The train had been running late, so I check in to my room, change clothes and quickly head out for a hike. I’m told I have just enough time to do the hike to Taranaki Falls. As I walk along, I suddenly realize no knows I’m even here. Given the reservations for this trip were made at the last minute, I have not done a blog posting. No one knows the Traveling Hillbilly has even left Auckland! Luckily there are no snakes or nasty creatures here so I should be okay, unless of course I slip and fall into the rocks below or the land gives way. These are the thoughts that cross my mind as I walk through the thick and spooky forest feeling completely alone. Then suddenly I hear water. I turn a corner and start walking along a beautiful fast running stream. I walk for almost an hour before I see another person. Even though he’s quite far ahead, I take comfort in knowing someone else is out there. When I come across a bridge with a beautiful view of a waterfall I assume, I’ve reached Taranaki falls. It’s beautiful and I pause to take some photos, although quickly, because as you know the Traveling Hillbilly is afraid of heights and standing on a bridge over fast flowing water and rocks is truly frightening. It turns out the Traveling Hillbilly is wrong. About 10 minutes later, I turn a corner and see a huge waterfall cascading over black lava rocks. It’s truly a spectacular sight. I have to pause and just appreciate the beauty that is before me.

Despite the cold wind, this is one of the most beautiful hikes the Traveling Hillbilly has ever done. It truly was glorious.

Now it's time to head back to the hotel, grab a glass of wine, warm up and get some dinner.

No comments: