Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Truly Perfect Day

The Traveling Hillbilly awoke, totally excited about the trip to Plitvice Lakes. It was one of the first places I saw pictures of when I was researching Croatia and I was determined to make it there. It’s on the UNESCO register of world natural heritage sites and it certainly deserves to be there! As I said yesterday, I thought I was in for even more amazing scenery and Platvice Lakes did not disappoint!

The guide picked me up in the hotel lobby at 9:30 and off we went. I will never be able to express in words how truly beautiful and picturesque this place is. It is acres of forests, lakes and waterfalls. The leaves have already changed color so it’s a burst of vibrant reds, oranges and yellows which are a striking contrast to the bright green water of the lakes below. They have built a wooden path so you can walk along the lakes, among the waterfalls and at times, over the lakes themselves. It is magnificent. I think I took more photos here today than any other day on the trip. Every turn exposed a view more majestic than the one before. The Traveling Hillbilly has never seen so many waterfalls in one place.

Whenever I travel, I marvel at some beautiful site I’ve seen and think it’s the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. But this time, I may have topped the list. I just can’t imagine a place more beautiful than this. It was truly awe inspiring.

The Traveling Hillbilly can’t think of a better way to have spent the last day in Croatia.

No comments: