Monday, August 12, 2019

Perfect Life or Lazy Life?

Woke up shortly after the sun had risen and realized it was going to be a beautiful day.   I enjoyed the stunning view while letting the dogs out. 


Back inside and as the hounds ate their breakfast, I threw on some gym clothes.  Wanted to take the dogs for a morning walk while we still have the nice cool morning temperatures.    We headed to the path that loops around the golf course, figuring some of the mountain trails would still be too muddy from the recent rains.   After about a mile with the dogs, it was time to take them home and come back for another loop at a quicker pace.   With temperatures only in the high 60's, with limited humidity, it is perfect weather to get those daily steps in. 

Came back home to do some stretching with a little yoga on the deck, enjoying the nice cool breeze and of course the view.   The morning work out was followed by a nice bowl of fresh fruit. 

As I'm sitting on the deck eating my fruit, I'm thinking this is the perfect way to start the day.  The Traveling Hillbilly got a morning workout in, got to enjoy the beautiful surrounding scenery without feeling rushed and even had time to stop for a coffee.  Why can't every day start like this?  Why is it we only get to move at this pace when we are on vacation? 

Then I thought is this too self indulgent?   Should I be hopping out of bed and rushing to start my day?   Should I be crossing a bunch of things off my "to do" list?   I start to feel bad.  I start to wonder when should I stop enjoying this quiet time on the deck and start getting some work done?  What is the right balance between being productive and taking time to enjoy the beauty in the world?   It certainly doesn't seem that 2-3 weeks of vacation a year to enjoy this pace is the right balance.   But it would be hard to do this everyday without getting up at 4am.   We all work so hard and so much, we often don't have the time to stop and smell the roses, but we should.   And we shouldn't have to wait until we are retired to do so.

Wonder if there are people out there that have figured this out?   People that have, and take, the time to enjoy the beauty of life, while also working and being productive?   If so, the Traveling Hillbilly would love to know how they are accomplishing this balance on a daily basis.

No comments: