Saturday, November 29, 2008

“Things can be taken away and in the end all you have is your story.”

This is a line from the film Australia, spoken by the handsome Hugh Jackman. What a great line and so true. As most of you know, the Traveling Hillbilly has always said life is about acquiring experiences, not things, so this line really hit home.

It was opening night for the film Australia and y’all know the Traveling Hillbilly loves the movies, so I thought it was only fitting I go see it while I’m here. I’m sure my love and excitement over the film were heightened by my actually being here. However, it was a truly wonderful film. The Traveling Hillbilly highly recommends it. It’s been a long time since I’ve been so moved by a film. I sat in the theater long after the film ended and I wasn’t the only one. There must have been at least two-thirds of the audience still there sitting.

Obviously it’s a major release here so there’s been a lot of buzz about it. I heard a review that said the acting was a little over the top and that’s true. But to me it works. The film is done in an old school style like some of the classics, such as Casablanca and Gone with the Wind. If you watch those films today the acting might seem over the top, but they are still amazing films. It’s got drama, humor and the most beautiful scenery. It will make you laugh, gasp and maybe even cry. I think this film will make you all want to come here.

There are several great performances but the best performance is from Brandon Walters. This kid melts your heart.

So go see it and let me know what you think. And make sure your life is a great story!

No comments: