Saturday, November 29, 2008

A White Thanksgiving

It’s Thanksgiving here, not that they celebrate it. It’s just Thursday, but for me it’s Thanksgiving. Given the time difference, I know it’s not Thanksgiving there yet but it will be soon so Happy Thanksgiving to you all and save some turkey for me. The Traveling Hillbilly LOVES turkey sandwiches made from leftovers.

What better way to spend Thanksgiving, then going on yet another bush walk?!

So I head off to the Blue Mountains and then on to Jenolan Caves. It’s a long day, but another great one. I just can’t get over how amazing the views and scenery are here. It is truly magnificent. I have to admit, it reminded me a lot of Kentucky. I did a short hike in the Blue Mountains and saw yet another amazing waterfall. In some places the trail actually takes you almost to the cliff’s edge. I did not realize how high up I was until I walked up to this look out point and realized that just inches from the fence was a straight drop down! Beautiful but scary!

After spending time admiring the beauty of the Blue Mountains and getting the obligatory shot of the Three Sisters, it was off to Jenolan Caves. I have not been inside a cave since I was a kid and we went to Mammoth Caves in Kentucky. It was like being a kid again. The cave network is so intricate. It was just amazing. After hiking for four days in a row, I could have done without the 900+ steps though! My calves are killing me! Now it's time to go back to the hotel and get some dinner.

On the bus ride home, guess what? It starts to rain. Then suddenly we are in the middle of a hail storm! How wild is that? The hail stones are huge and coming down fast and furious. After just a few minutes, the ground is covered and it actually looks like it’s covered in snow. A white Thanksgiving in Australia, who would believe it?

As I sit here typing this in the club lounge, sipping my champagne, dreaming about a delicious Thanksgiving dinner, there’s suddenly an explosion. I jump back and am completely frightened for a moment. Given all that has been going on in Thailand and Mumbai, all the guest here are a little jumpy. Then we realize the explosion is actually fireworks. All the guests in the lounge are treated to an amazing fireworks display. What a special surprise. I later find out it is part of the celebration of the lighting of the Christmas tree, in the courtyard below us. Wow I had the best seat in the house for the ceremony.

So while I did not get my turkey, I did get a nice holiday treat.

So Happy Thanksgiving everyone and be thankful for your family, friends and all the blessings we have. My heart goes out to everyone impacted by the incidents in Thailand, Mumbai and the Middle East.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with the rapelling! What an adventure. So glad you're sharing it as you go. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Oh that was me - Meija, sorry.