Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Traveling Hillbilly Tries Paddle Boarding!



I’m sure a lot of you have seen people paddle boarding.   It looks easy right?   It’s something I’ve wanted to try for a while and the fact that I live in Los Angeles, there is absolutely no excuse for my not having tried it already.  But it took me a getaway in Honolulu to actually try it.   After a few days of truly doing nothing, I was ready for some sort of adventure so I decided to try it.   Despite, how it looks, I knew it wouldn’t be easy.   I’ve tried surfing before and couldn’t even stand up on the board.   However, that was many years ago and I figured now that I know how to snowboard, standing on board in the water should be easier.  

After about 5 minute’s instruction on the ground, we headed out to the water.  Somehow I managed to stand up right away.  However, I did not stay up for long.   As soon as a small wave came, I tumbled off the board.   I stood up and fell a few more times.   Things are going exactly how I expected them to!

Then we paddled out a little past the waves to calmer water and I finally got my bearings and my balance.  I was actually able to do it.   From the shore, it might have actually looked like I knew what I was doing.   After paddling for quite a bit, it was time to head back in.  I was feeling pretty good about myself and quite proud that I’d actually conquered something new!   So when the instructor asked me if I wanted to paddle back in or catch a wave, I boldly said, I want to catch a wave in!  I was ready!   Well my confidence quickly vanished.   He gave me a gentle push as the wave came and as soon as I tried to stand up, I tumbled!   We had time for one more wave.  I had to redeem myself, but there was to be no redemption for me today.   I tumbled again.  All that great work out in the deeper waters and now here I was on the shore with everybody watching and tumbling off that board like the normal klutz I am!   Well truth be told, most people probably weren’t really paying me any attention.  Either way, I felt the need to at least stand up and paddle the rest of the way in.   I was not going to let my last few minutes be me walking my board into shore, so I stood up and paddled my way in. 

All in all, it was a great workout, a lot of fun and something I definitely want to do when I get back to LA!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Looks like you had a good time