Friday, December 20, 2013

And the Artic Journey Begins


After a very lengthy delay leaving LAX, The Traveling Hillbilly arrived in London late yesterday.   My friends from San Francisco arrived just minutes after.   Given we were in different terminals we decided we’d head to our hotel and meet up for dinner later.

After checking in and getting settled, I headed over to meet my friends at their hotel for a drink and then dinner.   We ordered some champagne, toasted our adventure ahead and spent time catching up.  We then had a very bland dinner at the “oriental” restaurant in their hotel.

After a very unrestful night with little sleep, I’m sitting on a Finnair flight headed to Helsinki, where I’ll switch planes and catch another flight to Rovaniemi where we’ll be met with a car to take us to our final destination Luosto, in the Finnish Laplands.

I sit on the plane with a deep hope of actually getting to see the Northern Lights.  The sun is reaching the peak of its 11 year solar activity cycle, meaning this one of the best opportunities for seeing the northern lights!  Cross your fingers and wish us luck!

No comments: