Monday, December 23, 2013

Sledding, Snowmobiling & Husky Ride = One Totally Fun Day!

Today was a truly fun day!   It was like being a kid again.

We didn't have to be anywhere today until after 3pm, so we slept in and had a late breakfast.   Over breakfast we pondered what to do and then saw some kids sledding outside the restaurant window.   We all thought, let's do that.  It'll be fun.  We grabbed one of the little plastic sleds they have outside the hotel and headed off in search of a hill.  We didn't have to go far.  Right behind the hotel, is a walking path to the lake that has a nice downhill slope.   We each took turns sledding, well some of us luged, down the hill.  We had so much fun.   After a few runs each, we went in search of a steeper hill.   We found one right by the lake.   This gave us the opportunity to fly down the hill and then glide across the snow covered, iced over lake!   While we weren't always graceful heading down, it was a truly fun way to spend the morning.

But the fun wasn't over.   After lunch we took snowmobiles over to a husky farm.   The Traveling Hillbilly has never been on a snowmobile so I admit I was a little nervous.   Plus they only gave us about 5 minutes of instruction before letting us hop on one and take off.  I mean we did have a guide in front leading the way, but still I was nervous.   The path was really bumpy and more than once, I thought I might pop right off!  But all in all, a very fun adventure.




Now let's talk about the Husky safari.   Being this is a part of the culture here, I was looking forward to going.  It seems like the thing to do when you're in this part of the world,  I have to admit it was an amazing experience.  I can't believe how much those dogs just want to run and take off!    They just don't slow down!  There were often times where it was almost pitch black, despite the fact it was only about 4:30 in the afternoon).   Luckily the dogs are familiar with the trail and knew exactly where to  go!   Otherwise, we could have easily gotten off the path. 

But while we were waiting for the run to start I started thinking about what this does to the dogs.  They truly do seem to want to run, but this has to be hard on their bodies.   There really is no need to use this form of transportation any longer, so it really is just for tourists.   I don't know, it just made me feel guilty and miss my hounds.

But all in all, we had a truly fun day.

No comments: