Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Traveling Hillbilly Goes Snowshoeing

We started the day snowshoeing through the forest and then up to the top of the mountain. I was hoping we would get the chance to see a fox or artic hare on this adventure, maybe some reindeer.  However, those hopes were quickly dashed when I realized how much noise we were going to be making on our trek.   Between the clank of the shoes, the swish, swish, swish, sound of our artic gear, there was no way we were going to sneak up on any wildlife.   They would have heard coming a mile away.  However, it was awesome to be able to get deeper into the forest.

I just l can't get over how stunningly beautiful this place is.  We are staying in a village with less than 1,000 people.   I think the total people population is 881, but the reindeer population is significantly higher.   In the Lapland area, the reindeer significantly outnumber the residents by a significant margin.  

Given the small, population, the limited traffic and clean air, the snow is just so pristine and stays undisturbed where it softly fell, except for the occasional animal track.   I have taken some many pictures of trees, I wonder how many more I can take, but the scenery is so beautiful, I find I can't resist trying capture the memory, the moment on film. 

 
The view from the top of the mountain (or hill as our guide called it), literally took my breath away.    You truly do feel like you're standing in a black and white world.  The ground and every tree is covered in snow, the sky a light grey that just blends in.    The only color was the red and blue from our snow suits.  



Almost at the top
Our guide, as we were snowshoeing across the lake
 

1 comment:

Michael said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Wow!