Thursday, September 22, 2016

Walking Behind a Waterfall

On the way back from Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon we stopped at Seljalandsfoss, possibly the most famous waterfall in Iceland.  While waterfalls are in abundance in Iceland, what makes this one unique is that you can actually walk behind it!  There is a little cave behind it where you can stand and listen to the power that is Seljalandsfoss.   I warn you, the walk is a little treacherous.   While there are some stairs that lead up to the waterfall, once you get about midway up, the stairs stop and you have to walk along the ridge of the cave.  Getting around to the other side is even more of an adventure.  It's nothing but wet, slipper rocks that you have to climb up and over.  This would be a small challenge during the day but we were doing it at night!   I have to admit, the Traveling Hillbilly was a little nervous.  At first, I didn't even want to go all the way around, I was just going to turn back and go back the same way I came.  But a few others wanted to go too, so we decided there was safety in numbers and went for it.   I was about halfway up the rocks, when I realized two of our party had turned back around once they saw all the rocks.   Unfortunately, I didn't get a great picture for you since it was so dark, but here's a shot starting to walk behind and then one  taken from directly behind it.



No comments: