Friday, December 20, 2019

The Good News and the Bad News


So after writing a couple of postings for the blog, the Traveling Hillbilly decided to see if I could get into the one lounge that’s here.  I was hoping that given Kenya Airways is a sky mile partner with Delta, they would honor the American Express access.   Unfortunately, it was a no go.  My economy ticket certainly didn’t help matters.   However, as I was on the hunt for the lounge location, I came across, a sign that said Spa.  I was so excited to think there might actually be a spa at this little airport, even one of those “express spas” you often see.   Turns out the “spa” is actually right next to the lounge so after being turned down at the lounge, I headed over to the spa.  It looked more like a nail salon, but they did have a massage room in the back.   After 14 hours on a plane, the Traveling Hillbilly needed that massage.  The massage was great. 

It was after my massage that I was informed there was no water at the airport.   Not only was there currently no water in the airport but it was day 2 without any water.   This means, no washing hands, no brushing teeth and most critical no bathroom break!   Six hours in an airport without water, makes you appreciate all the things we take for granted.  I know there had been a major water shortage in South Africa and residents had been severally limited on usage.  Have been wondering the longer term impact of the shortage.  We truly do take so many things for granted until something happens that reminds us how much we should appreciate things like running water and electricity. 

No comments: