Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Day 2 - Feeling Better

 Woke up feeling so much better than yesterday.  Starting to think it was food poisoning, since it came on so fast and was gone in 24 hours.   I so wanted to get on the road, but thought I should make sure I could keep food down before heading out.  So saltines and Gatorade for the day.    I got the car packed, thinking I might be able to get on the road late afternoon.   But yesterday just wiped me out and I just didn't have the energy to start on this long journey.  

So I went to bed early and woke up at 3am, loaded the hounds in the car and off we went.   Things were going great.  I was thinking, I won't arrive much later than I originally planned.  It was a looooooonnnggg day, but we were making good time.   Until we got just outside Gallup, New Mexico.    Just outside Gallup, New Mexico, we came to a complete stop.  We were basically parked on Highway 40!   We sat there not moving for 2 1/2 hours and during this time, it started to snow and the temperature dropped!  The road was basically becoming a sheet of ice!   Unfortunately the nearest exit was almost 30 miles away (in either direction).  Once the snow started and the roads became icy, I didn't think we'd be going much further for the night.  I thought it might be a good time to find a hotel before they all get booked!   After a few phone calls, I finally found a pet friendly place off the next exit.   Now I just had to wait for traffic to start moving so I could get there.

No comments: