Sunday, May 26, 2024

Day 2 in Alaska - Another Bike Ride and a Long Way for Pizza and Beer

 

As you all know, my plans were to go back to my room, take a nap and do a post dinner ride to downtown Anchorage.  I was so tired after lunch, I thought I would fall asleep in minutes and would wake up in time for dinner and a post dinner ride.   However, it took me forever to fall asleep and then I didn’t wake up until well into the evening, so no dinner, no ride.

Started my morning with a walk to my coffee place, followed by a quick breakfast as I was ravenous after not having eaten anything since lunch the day before.

I rented another bike and took off to finish the last part of the coastal trail.   The Tony Knowles coastal trail itself is just 11 miles long from end to end.  However, there are so many trails in the city to explore.   I have since learned when you knit together all the favorite paved trails, it becomes a single 32-mile route that resembles the shape of a moose’s head! 


Yesterday I got on the trail at Earthquake Park and rode to its finish at Kincaid Park and then back past Earthquake Park for a bit before heading back to the hotel.  So I only had about 3 ½ miles of the trail to do, but of course took some detours along the way.  The first part of the trail leaving Earthquake Park is very scenic.   However, I have to say this part of the trail was not as scenic as the way to Kincaid Park. It was much busier and there were several homeless encampments.    I can’t imagine how hard being homeless is, but being homeless in Alaska has to be unbearable in the winter.  I’m not sure how they can survive a winter outdoors. 

After making my way back to the hotel, I hopped on the hotel shuttle to downtown.  I decided to have a late lunch at Moose’s Tooth.  Someone told me they had the best pizza in town and also brew their own beers.  That turned out to be more of an adventure than expected.   After I exited the shuttle, I put the Moose’s Tooth in google maps only to realize it was a 2 ½ mile walk.   After my bike ride, I didn’t feel up to an hour walk, but it seemed silly to pay almost $10 dollars to take an Uber ride to get a slice of pizza and a beer.  So, I decided I’d walk there and then just take an Uber back to the hotel after. 

The same man that told me about the Moose’s told, also informed me the navigation in Anchorage can be wonky.  After this walking route I have to agree.  It had me walking along a major highway in Anchorage and there were some areas with no sidewalk.  Given all the beautiful trails in this city, there had to be a more scenic route than the one I took.   However, I made it, and it was a good reco.  The pizza was great and the two raspberry beers I had eased the pain a little.

https://moosestooth.net/

So excited for my train ride to Seward tomorrow.   It’s supposed to be the most scenic train ride in Alaska.  Plus, I’ll get to sit down for a while!  Can’t wait to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.  Alaska Railroad, here I come! 

No comments: