Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Day 3 Was Magical

 

Day 3 was one of the things I planned that I was looking forward to the most.  When the Traveling Hillbilly decided to make an Alaskan trip happen this year, the first thing I did was google scenic train rides in Alaska.  I love taking a train and thought this would be what I would build the rest of my itinerary around.   Everything I read, said the train ride from Anchorage to Seward was the most scenic train ride in Alaska.   So, I decided to make a trip to Seward part of my trip and while there, do a day cruise around Kenai Fjords National Park to see some glaciers and wildlife.

The day did not disappoint!   Despite the early start, had to leave hotel at 5am to catch the train, I was wide awake on the train in awe of the scenery.  At one point, I thought, I better stop taking pictures or both my camera and cell battery will be dead before I even get to Seward.   I wound up having to ask if there was any place I could plug them in to recharge them.  Luckily, in one of the employee “offices” they had a makeshift charging station set up, so I was able to get everything charged up before I departed the train. 

The train goes along the coast, probably the reason they call it the Coastal Train 😊.  You pass through valleys with snowcapped mountains as backdrop, there are rivers and streams, waterfalls cascading down the mountains, then areas still buried in snow, that is just starting to melt.    The only bummer was it was raining and/or cloudy for most of the day, but Alaska’s beauty managed to shine through.

After completing the breathtaking first leg of the day, it was time to head to the harbor to find Major Marine’s Kenai Fjords cruise.   The Traveling Hillbilly must admit, I was a little nervous about being on a boat for six hours.   Four hours seemed like plenty of time to be on a boat, but since the season hasn’t yet started so not all tour options are up and running.   Turns out six hours wasn’t too much.  We saw mountain goats, bears, bald eagles, puffins, whales, sea otters, sea lions and of course a glacier.  While I didn’t get the best pictures, I have great memories of the day.  

Now time to hop back for another scenic ride back to Anchorage.

No comments: